Ed V. wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions (on list and off list).

At this point I have:

...provided vague, imprecise descriptions, with some details scattered
in a lot of different messages in multiple threads.

Here's the explanation, plain and simple:
you did something wrong.
amd64 is NOT broken, your system or process is.

Got a couple amd64 systems at work that needed a bit of evaluation,
I installed 3.9-release off CD, checked out the 3.9-stable source,
built the kernel, built the userland, no problems.

Either:
  1) You are not doing what you described
  2) you are doing something wrong you didn't describe
  3) You are doing something you aren't telling us that you assume
is completely unimportant.  And isn't.

It works.  Really.

Wish I had a few bucks for each and every time someone jumped up and
down and swore that release or stable was broke, and prompted me to
test it...and (of course) found no problem.

Fortunately, amd64 systems are fast.  One of these things had two
dual-cores...and a laptop hard disk.  The single-core system with the
multiple SCSI disks finished in half the time. 8-/

You might want to try faq5.html the build instructions, a bit more
detail there.

Nick.