Joseph C. Bender wrote:

> Nick Guenther wrote:
> > On 5/6/06, Henrik Borgh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> $ sudo fdisk wd0
> >> Password:
> >> Disk: wd0       geometry: 4864/255/63 [78140160 Sectors]
> >> Offset: 0       Signature: 0xAA55
> >>          Starting       Ending       LBA Info:
> >>  #: id    C   H  S -    C   H  S [       start:      size   ]

> >>  0: 12    0   1  1 -  382 254 63 [          63:     6152832 ] Compaq
> >> Diag.
> >>  1: 0C  383   0  1 - 2597 254 63 [     6152895:    35583975 ] Win95
> >> FAT32L
> >> *2: A6 2598   0  1 - 3930 254 63 [    41736870:    21414645 ] OpenBSD
> >>  3: 0C 3931   0  1 - 4862 254 63 [    63151515:    14972580 ] Win95
> >> FAT32L
> >>
> >> $ sudo disklabel wd0
> [Snip disklabel intro]
> >>
> >> 16 partitions:
> >> #             size        offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
> >>   a:      20761146      41736870  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl
> >> 41405*- 62001
> >>   b:        653499      62498016    swap                   # Cyl 62002
> >> - 62650*
> >>   c:      78140160             0  unused      0     0      # Cyl     0
> >> - 77519
> >>   i:       6152832            63 unknown                   # Cyl
> >> 0*-  6104*
> >>   j:      35583975       6152895   MSDOS                   # Cyl
> >> 6104*- 41405*
> >>

> > You'll have to redo the disklabel but it's not such a horrible
> > experience as you might think. Just do "disklabel -e wd0", clear it,
> > and start putting in new lines. Make sure to keep this output so you
> > can put the old partitions back.
> >
>       I'm sorry, do what, exactly?  Clear it?  Why would you want to do
> something like that when the OP would just need to add ONE line.
>
> This is what I'd do:
>
>       "sudo disklabel -e wd0", yes, but you just need to copy and
> change the
> copied line to meet the parameters of the new partition.
>
>       Specifically, once in the editor:
>
>       Find the "j:" entry from the above disklabel.  Copy and put
> it right
> below it "yyp" if you're not very familar with vi.
>
> Then change "j:" to "k:", change the size column's value to the size
> value reported in fdisk, change the offset column's value to the "start"
> value as reported by fdisk for that partition.  Save and quit.
> Disklabel will then update the label to make this happen.
Me, I'd take a closer look at that j OpenBSD partition.
It does NOT look like it corresponds to anything in the DOS partitions.
Whether or not you redo the disklabel from scratch,
the critical operation is writing the disklabel back.
This is a place where any slipup, any typo, can do incredible damage.
(This is from somebody who LIKES to play with overlapping partitions;)