I've got a Soekris 4801 with an Ath 5212 miniPCI card in it that is running
3.8 currently.  I should have some downtime in the next couple weeks and I
plan on upgrading to 3.9.  I'm hoping that 3.9 will allow 11g to work,
otherwise I'll probably just buy a Ralink card in the near future and call
it a day.

I'll respond here and let everyone know how it works out.