>> There's no solution because there's no problem.  OpenBSD doesn't randomly
>> reorder interfaces for no reason.
>
>So the order in which the cards are detected is deterministic and never
>changes? I'm not being a smartass, I really want to know.

We have worked very hard at this.  On a particular machine, yes, it should
be deterministic.  On each bus, we probe in bus-order.  For instance, pci
or isa, or pcmcia, or cardbus.  Slots, connectors, functions, etc.

There may be a race in usb for how devices respond, but I bet it is small
and not really that worrying.  One day maybe someone can look at it.

One card is special, ep(4) because of plug & play.  But I bet that is not
what anyone is concerned about.  But even that man page lays out the probe
order...