From a developper point of view, what is the best technique for
building such a proxy : a userland proxy, or some special pf code ? My
feeling is that userland proxy are better suited for application level
procotol (HTTP, FTP...) and in-kernel code is better suited for lower
level protocols (TCP, UDP, IP, ICMP, GRE...). What are the difference
between OpenBSD ftp-proxy and IPTables ftp_conn_track.o ? What's the
best design ?

Best regards,

Bruno.

2006/5/10, Luiz Souza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Bruno Carnazzi wrote:
> 2006/5/10, Damian Gerow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> Thus spake Bruno Carnazzi ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [10/05/06 01:37]:
>> : My home PF NATing gateway route just one PPTP tunnel (for my laptop),
>> : and I don't need special thing for it to work (GRE enabled via sysctl
>> : and pf must pass GRE proto). Is there a special case when you have
>> : multiple PPTP (GRE) tunnels that need proxying ?
>>
>> In theory, so long as there is only one given client on the LAN
>> connecting
>> to a given PPTP endpoint on the 'Net, I can handle it all using
>> standard PF
>> syntax.  My problem is that I have two clients on the LAN that wish to
>> connect to the same endpoint -- that, AFAIK, requires a proxy.
>
> That's my first question : why the need for a proxy for a network level
> protocol ?
>
> Bruno.
>

>>   - Damian

because GRE needs some _special_ processing on nat box and pf nat engine
do not support this, so a proxy is really needed.

luiz