On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 09:25:11PM +1000, John Kintaro Tate wrote:
> > Who wants to code when you've got island life outside? Palm trees,
> > fishing, swimming, bikinis, seafood, etc. I think drinking beer under
> > a palm tree beats drinking beer at a keyboard any day.
> >
> > Also, maybe from Theo's perspective, I've heard tell that it can get
> > pretty cold in Canada.
> >

> I live in Australia, there are beautiful national parks and great weather
> outside, but im not going anywhere unless the girlfriend asks.

Came across this recently,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Country

interesting is this excerpt:

   Horne's statement was actually made ironically, as an indictment of
   1960s Australia. His intent was to comment that, while other nations
   developed based on "clever" means such as technology and other
   innovations, Australia did not. [1]

I keep wondering how Australia keeps pace with its relatively low population
in a world where a country like China floods the world with electronics
equipment.  How does Australia keep its sovereignty?  Obviously someone has
to check whether electronic hardware from elsewhere is going to profit or
harm a country.  Sit under yer palm tree all ya want though... :)

To reduce any effort of reverse engineering software to find backdoors an Open
Source Operating System like OpenBSD is just the right thing, as reading
source is a lot better than disassembling binary.  Also pushing for open
hardware documentation would only make sense for a country such as .au.

Regards,

-p