When a user logs in, what would prevent them from accessing their files
in /var/www/home/wherever by just using the cd command to change to
that directory? Just make sure permissions on whatever they need to
access in /var/www/home/wherever are such that the users can change
files and Apache can read files. If you want to make it a little easier
for the users to find their place in /var/www/home/wherever you could
create a symlink within their home directory that points to that
location: "ln -s /var/www/home/user ~user/webfiles"