On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 12:39:57AM +0200, ip wrote:
> On 5/14/06, Joachim Schipper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >While wd1a does have a kernel, it does not have a proper root filesystem
> >- for instance, no /dev directory, or more specifically no /dev/console.
> >
> >Fix this, and also have a look at daily(8) which documents the altroot
> >mechanism, which is quite useful to ensure backup kernels can always be
> >found in a RAIDed system.
> >
> >                Joachim
> >

> Hello misc,
> Hi Joachim and thanks for the tips.
> However, I don't understand why I receive this errors.
>
> From the raidctl man page:
>  Section: Auto-configuration and Root on RAID
>     RAID sets which are auto-configurable will be configured before the root
>     file system is mounted.  These RAID sets are thus available for use as a
>     root file system, or for any other file system.
>  [snip]
>     Note that kernels can't be directly read from a RAID component.  To sup-
>     port the root file system on RAID sets, some mechanism must be used to
>     get a kernel booting.  For example, a small partition containing only
>     the
>     secondary boot-blocks and an alternate kernel (or two) could be used.
>     Once a kernel is booting however, and an auto-configured RAID set is
>     found that is eligible to be root, then that RAID set will be auto-con-
>     figured and its `a' partition (aka raid[0..n]a) will be used as the root
>     file system.
>
> So, when I make the wd1a partition, I think that bsd and boot files
> are sufficient for the goal.
> Instead, during the reboot into degrade mode, the error messages seem
> to indicate that the Auto RAID system has not been activated.
> Infact I have fixed dev/console and other mechanisms, but this
> solution go to recreate a minimum complete installation into wd1a...

(Sorry for the slow reaction, but the OP might not have this one figured
out yet, or at least it'll be useful for the archives...)

When you booted, and this was in your original message you snipped
above, you posted that you received:

>    Kernelized RAIDFrame activated
>    dkcsum wd0 matches BIOS drive 0x80
>    dkcsum wd1 matches BIOS drive 0x81
>    root on wd1a
>    rootdev=0x10 rrootdev=0x320 rawdev=0x312
>    warning: /dev/console does not exist
>    init: not found
>    panic: no init
>    ddb>

This looks like the RAID is not autoconfiguring at all. Maybe you didn't
build the kernel with the proper options, or maybe you forgot raidctl -A
root?

                Joachim