What most ports (at least gd/php and maybe tk) need from X11 is nothing more
than libfreetype

My simple solution is to copy /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.X.X from
a box with X11 to the server without X11.  Just copy it to /usr/local/lib
and everything works.

I mean, you could make libs into its own port but then it would have all those
other useless libs that the server never uses :)

--
There is no certainty, there is only opportunity