andrew fresh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have tried one of those, I had forgotten about that.  The
> problem with the USB digital output that I have tried is that
> it does not do AC3/DTS passthrough, all it does is output 2
> channel PCM over the optical digital connection.
>
> I believe the one I tried was a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage
> Micro.  If there is USB audio that will do AC3/DTS passthrough
> on OpenBSD, I would be happy with that.

I have a Sinovoice UAC-05 which identifies like this

uaudio0 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0: ABC C-Media USB Headphone
Set, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
uaudio0: audio rev 1.00, 8 mixer controls
audio0 at uaudio0

it is connected to my NAD T-760 receiver using a toslink
(optical) cable.

In the following examples I use "Gladiator" (region 2).

To get DTS on the receiver:

mplayer dvd://

To get Dolby Digital on the receiver:

mplayer -ac hwac3 -aid 128 dvd://

(On "Shrek" (region 1) I had to use -aid to get DTS.)

-ac hwac3 tells mplayer to let the soundcard do the work and not
do it in software.

To find the "aid" (audio id) I run mplayer with -v and look for
something like this.

DVD successfully opened.
[open] audio stream: 0 audio format: ac3 (5.1) language: en aid: 128
[open] audio stream: 1 audio format: dts (5.1) language: en aid: 137
[open] audio stream: 2 audio format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 130

Hope this helps.