2006/5/29, Uwe Dippel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On Mon, 29 May 2006 11:50:56 +0200, Martin Schrvder wrote:
> PS2 is _NOT_ hot-pluggable.

Uuh, never occurred to me before. Good to learn something new each and
every day ! Except of the servers being down, I don't usually do it.

That means when the network is down, and you don't have a keyboard
attached, there is only one way: hard reset, to control the box even if it
is running properly ?!

Unless you have a KVM, yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:IBM_Personal_System/2#Contrast_to_USB

<quote>
Vcc/Ground provide power to the keyboard/mouse.  The keyboard or mouse
should not draw more than 275 mA from the host and care must be taken
to avoid transient surges.  Such surges can be caused by
"hot-plugging" a keyboard/mouse (ie, connect/disconnect the device
while the computer's power is on.)  Older motherboards had a
surface-mounted fuse protecting the keyboard and mouse ports.  When
this fuse blew, the motherboard was useless to the consumer, and
non-fixable to the average technician.  Most newer motherboards use
auto-reset "Poly" fuses that go a long way to remedy this problem.
However, this is not a standard and there's still plenty of older
motherboards in use.  Therefore, I recommend against hot-plugging a
PS/2 mouse or keyboard.
</quote>

Get a KVM. :-)

Best