Shane J Pearson wrote:
What I did in that case, was image with Ghost and when the drive spins-down, pull the power plug on the drive alone, then plug it back in to get a few more minutes of copying. Keep doing that until the whole drive is imaged. Thankfully, this worked perfectly for me.

Another thing I have seen successfully done when a drive would not spin-up at all, was a PCB swap from an exact same drive (model/firmware). If you try this, image the drive and then restore to another disk. Since when I saw this done, the newly fixed drive with different PCB died only days later in the same way. As if something inside the drive killed something on the outer PCB.

I have done both of these things in the past, when desperate, with some success. I've also sent a super-critical drive out to drivesavers (I think it was them) and they saved it, but it was mucho $.

  It all depends on how much you need it.

  Also, look into RAID _5_ in the future.

And a final note of wisdom -- SMART monitoring is your friend. Use it. Check it weekly on every system you own. I saved a lot of hassle when one drive in my (Linux) file server's RAID 5 told me one day "Failure Imminent". I overnighted the exact same model ans swapped it out the next day, preventing a lot of headache.

Shane

--
     Chris 'Xenon' Hanson | Xenon @ 3D Nature | http://www.3DNature.com/
 "I set the wheels in motion, turn up all the machines, activate the programs,