WOOHOO I figured it out. It was my root device.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq8.html#Bootloader

boot -a allowed me to chose a different root device. I didn't realize that
was going on but after booting several times I realized there was a line
that said root_device wd1a

thanks to the FAQ maintainer!