From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Paul de Weerd
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 10:30 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Re: OpenBSD 3.9 on a Sun Fire x4100

Hi Nick,

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 09:51:13PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
|  I have been looking high and low for instructions on how to get 3.9
| running on an x4100. Not finding any, I decided to play w/ it myself. I
| was able to make it work. While I have included the entire dmesg, here is
| the interesting (for the SAS controller, anyway) bit:
|
| mpi0 at pci2 dev 3 function 0 "Symbios Logic SAS1064" rev 0x02: apic 6 int
| 0 (irq 11)
| scsibus0 at mpi0: 63 targets
| sd0 at scsibus0 targ 2 lun 0: <LSILOGIC, Logical Volume, 3000> SCSI2
| 0/direct fixed
| sd0: 69618MB, 69618 cyl, 16 head, 128 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 142577664 sec
total

Good to see your mpi-controller is working as it should ;)

| The kernel is the bsd.mp from the amd64 snapshots section, and the rest of
| the system is amd64 3.9

That's not good. You're mixing -current kernel with -stable userland.
Don't do that. You'll get all sorts of strange things, the longer
after -stable became stable you take -current, the more weird things
will happen until at some point your system may not make it past

It's OK to play around with stuff like this (to see if your SAS
controller is supported by a newer kernel), but don't run anything
important in such a configuration. See that the new kernel supports
your hardware and then *UPGRADE*. Not just the kernel, your entire
system.

If running -current is not for you then you have a limited set of
options :

        o Wait for 4.0 which should be released in November (only 5
          months from now ;)
        o Backport the mpi(4) driver to 3.9 (good luck, you're on your
          own)
        o Bite the bullet, run -current.

If any of the issues you mention below reappear with a complete
snapshot or a complete -RELEASE system, feel free to try again ;)

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

PS: Thanks for including a dmesg.

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/