Lars Hansson wrote:
On Tuesday 06 June 2006 17:42, Martin Schrvder wrote:
Hi,
how likely is a no-name 100MBit NIC to just work with 3.9 stable?
In my experience, very. Most are using the same chipsets (ie rl) as the "brand" NICs anyway.
I cant recall ever having a NIC, brand or non-brand, that didnt work.

Agreed.
Whatever chip they use, the manufacturer is usually more interested in selling product than keeping you from using it outside of the Windows environment. Thus, we probably have docs, and the driver probably works pretty well (even if the chip itself is often resoundingly criticized).

Kinda silly how much effort some big-name companies put into making sure you CAN'T use their product anywhere and everywhere...

Nick.