On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 12:14:21PM -0700, Joe wrote:
> I've having a problem understanding how to write data to a disk.
> I want to wipe an old hard drive before getting rid of it.
> I have attached the hard drive to my system via usb.
>
> Normally, this would work (in different OS's):
>
> # dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sd0
>
> However, this command creates a file /dev/sd0 and fills it with random
> data. I want to write this data to the disk instead.
>
> The same thing happens when I use /dev/rsd0.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

  do you actually have a 'sd0' in /dev?

  fdisk/disklabel may take 'sd0' as a reserved meta keyword shortcut
  for device, but 'dd' has no special handling like that, afair, so
  when you say 'of=/dev/sd0' you are really asking it to put data
  in that literal file.

  perhaps try the 'c' partition if you intend to write to the entire
  disk.

--

  jared

[ openbsd 3.9-current GENERIC ( may  1 ) // i386 ]