As I have already told in a couple of previous emails, I'm experiencing occasional computer freezes (the PC lockups with no error at all, and I can only reset it).

I replaced all the hardware (motherboard, cpu, ram, disc controller, etc...) and upgraded to 3.9 and now to -current of some days ago. But it keeps freezing...

The pc freezes (but only occasionally) during dumps of the entire filesystem, using the system "dump" program. The dump is done while the system is in use, so files may change during the dump.

Yesterday another PC freezed!
I noticed that it occurred just at the time that a copy of a directory was done, this time by means of the "tar" program. This time too the backed-up files were in use and probably written.

So, all these clues make me think that if a file is dumped (readed, in particular by "dump" and "tar") while it is written, it can make the system froze-up.

Please note that both PCs have softupdates enabled.

Thanks.

    __
   |-                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]