Bihlmaier Andreas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Since I have no glue at all how IPSEC goes about "looking" for crypto
> accelerator hardware and making use of it, I'm kind of stuck. Because
> everything I have found so far by google and archives was that it should
> "just work".

Not directly applicable to Andreas's problem, but doubting questions
whether a provided crypto accelerator is actually used keep coming
up, and I just became aware of an extra twist to this:

My hifn (a Soekris vpn1401) didn't appear to be used for IPsec
either.  When I had ssh traffic terminating at that machine, there
were plenty of hifn0 interrupts, but when it only served as an IPsec
gateway there were none.  Strange.  So I took another look at the
crypto algorithms employed.  ipsecctl(8) defaults to AES and SHA2-256.
The Hifn 7955 supports AES, of course, and ... no SHA2.  You'd
imagine the crypto accelerator would still be used for AES with the
SHA2-256 hash added in software, but apparently this is not the
case.  I switched the IPsec setup to AES/SHA1 and now the hardware
acceleration is used, as the respective interrupt rate and overall
lower CPU usage convincingly demonstrate.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]