Supported methods per isakmpd(8):
1. Passphrase
2. Host Keys
3. X509 Certificates
4. Keynote Certificates

In fact "Keynote Certificates" is a bit ambiguous.
KeyNote uses X.509 certificates and other alternatives to make decisions.

I know nothing about Keynote so I'm not sure if it can be used in a VPN. If anybody is using Keynote I would love to hear where it can be used advantageously.

Basically KeyNote is a trust management system. It's used by OpenBSD IPSec implementation to enforce and interpret security policies and credentials.

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~keynote/ includes a brief explanation about KeyNote.

And a rather old but still useful kickstart tutorial by Matt Blaze will help too.
http://www.crypto.com/trustmgt/kn.html

bdd