Could i ask how your login class (/etc/login.conf) for mysql looks like?
And maybe your [mysqld_safe] entry in/etc/my.cnf?
I already modified my kern.maxfiles in /etc/sysctl.conf to
kern.maxfiles=10000 and in my own /etc/login.conf class i have set the
follwing values:
mysql:\
:datasize=infinity:\
:maxproc=infinity:\