dd(1) and iogen should give you said rough estimation.

As for transmission issues.
First take a look on either side for network 'errors'..
$ netstat -I hme0
Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Colls hme0 1500 <Link> 08:00:20:c2:5f:f0 1498294 0 742115 10 99837

Ierrs and Oerrs should be really low.
Colls are collissions.

If files get corrupted over the wire make a test file and hash [md5 (1)] it before transfer on test machine and after it has been transfered hash it on the target machine.
That will determine if the file corruption happened during transit.

For packet loss... ping the target machine then generate a lot of traffic to it (tcpblast, dd+netcat, etc.). Then stop ping and the stats at the end will give you the relative packet loss (to ping).
Change target machine's switch port and try again.
Change testing machine's switch port and try again.
Try a different switch.