On 6/29/06, Stuart Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 2006/06/29 09:40, Karsten McMinn wrote:
> >My big problem is in selecting which SATA-Card (I've only used Dawicontrol
> >on OBSD) and if I should buy one with four ports or two with two ports.

Cheap generic is probably the way forward. Ebay it if it doesn't work.
Don't know about the 2 vs. 4...

Ask your hardware vendor if you can see the card before buying it. If
you see SiI 3112 (2-ports) or SiI 3114 (4-ports) chipsets on the card,
you're probably in luck. These controllers (from Silicon Image) have
yet to let me down. IIRC, you'll find them on many more devices that
use SATA ports (including LSI ami(4) cards).

> LSI (ami) sata controllers will get you up to 8 disks on a controller.
> They are well liked adapters in these parts.
<snip>
The 8-channel also will not work in any old plain pci system (keyed
for 3.3v only iirc), though looking at photos on websites the 4- and
6- probably will (check the keying before stuffing into slots and
do not force it :-)

The MegaRAID SATA 150-4 and 150-6 models fitted nicely into the 32 bit
PCI slots I have and work as expected. 'Expected' here means: expect
degraded performance (w.r.t. use in a 64 bit slot). Nevertheless, the
card works fine, be it in 32 bit or 64 bit slots.

The 300-8X I have in my hands at the moment is keyed for 3.3V 64 bit
PCI / PCI-X slots. No point in trying to fit it into a 32 bit PCI
slot. Stuart is right: if the card doesn't fit, don't force the issue
:)

Cheers,

Rogier

--
If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.