Rod.. Whitworth wrote:
Test with well known cracker tools and weep. I have (as root) fed a
slice of master.passwd to John the Ripper with a few nologin users
added using dictionary words of 7 or 8 chars as passwords and after 10
days it had not cracked one of them. I bet it takes less time on lesser
hashes to get some results.

actually, I've had somewhat different results using ports/security/crack to look at how people entered a system.

A PII-450 was able to find an eight-letter dictionary PW (which was a particularly bad choice for a root PW) in a day or two, and at least one other trivial PW as well. So there is potentially some difference in the tools used.

Nick.