* Andrea Cocito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-07-04 13:02]:
> Looking at the rationale behind that code I found interesting that it
> does
> something very similar to what we do here with a shell script: if the
> main
> router has one or more sessions down widthdraw its precedence on
> CARP interfaces.
>
> Another difference is that I think CARP interfaces should be demoted
> when bgpd is.. actually not running!

that is intended to be doen soon, but it needs a more generic solution.
the whole carp group-based demotion is still very new.

> Perhaps a per-peer config option like "promote <mask> <delta>" which
> actually promotes the skew of interfaces matching <mask> of a value
> <delta> would be more flexible (so one might boot with carp interfaces
> at skew say 200 and promote them of 50 for each session which is up).

demotion does not affect advskew.

this would add unneeded knobs, adding confusion, solving basically
nothing.

> I see that most of the work done in porting openbgpd on FreeBSD is
> quite non-intrusive, if you agree I might prepare a clean and non-
> intrusive
> pach that makes it a bit more platform independent without affecting
> any feature on OpenBGPd (perhaps for who does not have interface
> groups we might use masks, like "carp*")

OpenBGPD is part of OpenBSD, other operating systems are of secodary
interest. That said, we still try to code portable where possible.
However, I keep explaining that turning a unix machine into a real
BGP-speaking router requires more than just adding a userland BGP
process. There are quite some kernel changes in the queue. Of course
that leads to bgpd beeing tighter bound to OpenBSD - not much we can
do about that. There'll likely always be a version running on
$someotherOS, but it will always be behind the native version. The gap
gets bigger, not smaller, over time.

--
BS Web Services, http://www.bsws.de/
OpenBSD-based Webhosting, Mail Services, Managed Servers, ...