On 2006/07/06 00:13, Joachim Schipper wrote:
> The OS shouldn't use the disk much, but adding CF will make your server
> more complex, more expensive, and slower. I really don't see the point.

OTOH, if files on the HD are only accessed infrequently and the disk
is spun down the rest of the time, this could reduce power use, heat
and noise, and isn't any more complicated than, say, having two hard
drives.

We are now in the days of being able to make a complete OS install
onto a flashcard which costs less than the cheapest hard drive.

> Or, if possible, a RAID array (which is fast, not too expensive
> if you actually use the I, and more reliable than any single disk).

"more reliable than any single disk" - not always.