if there was only one partion with FAT, you#re out
of luck with any standard tool because the
fat is within the first 10 mb.

the are tools out there (google something like 'file
recovery FAT'), but I don't know whether such exist for
OpenBSD: In any case, the more fragmented the
FAT was, the less is the chance of reviving something
meaningful.

Seriously. Recovering messed up file systems is not something you
can do if you don't know how to do it. You can't learn it when you
need it nownownow. And noone will do it for you unless you pay them.
ibas are the best.

And reading the source to mount_msdos won't help you a bit since it
doesn't do much more than setup some trivial arguments and call
mount(2).

Thank you for your replies. I was not clear enough in the first place:
due to the first 10Mb being gone, I do not expect to find any valid fs
anymore. What I still hope for are individual files from the 3Gb image
file that I have. I mean e.g. exe's, or dll's, zip's, lha's etc should have
their size written in them or their data structures, not only fs, as well.

So that e.g. for exe's I would find their "MZ" beginning chars, size
after them and seek until the end by the size. Its gonna be time
consuming, I know. That is why I asked in the first place.

I dared to ask about it on misc@ because I thought that mount_msdos
might be more helpful in this case.

Thank you so much for the time.