On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 06:01:43PM +0200, Joachim Schipper wrote:

> You are, possibly, confusing a world in which people are out to get you
> with one where (most of) the rest of the world doesn't particularly care
> what happens to you. I'm not saying we're living in a wonderland, but
> it's highly unlikely someone will invest the time to bug your keyboard.

Well, it's very hard to say that someone isn't trying to bug his
keyboard. It might be a valid concern. However, if someone *is* then you
have to look at all the other possibilities as well. A small audio bug
can be enough to pick up key clicks, and some interesting work has been
done in reconstructing input based on inter-key timing. The better
typist you are, the better it works. That's one small example. What
about the many, many others given physical access to the environment?

I'm not saying that anyone should forget about securing their computer
and environment, just that if you're going to consider a new area to
secure, you should think about all the other ways an attacker with such
access might glean information.

People with unquestioned need to secure their environment choose to
create a physically secure area, rather than try to allow free access
and secure individual components from tampering. It's cheaper. It's also
more effective since it also prevents the placing of surveillance
equipment *without* tampering with legitimate equipment, and prevents
tampering with some component you haven't thought about yet.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |