On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 11:51:56PM +0200, Peter Philipp wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 10:55:47PM +0200, Tobias Ulmer wrote:
> > Depends on your needs. If want to protect against a casual attacker, it
> > may just be enough, but it's wasted time if some TLA tries to shut
> > down your international muslim terrorist attack planing mailinglist server
> > somewhere in russia.... good luck ;)
>
> Sorry, but I believe that my right to privacy, and right to working USB
> devices that don't blow up at random because some programmer thought I
> entered a terrorist word outweighs any hassling TLA.  This is a legal
> issue and should be continued in federal and international courts.
>
> I just don't find it cool that a "TLA" shuts someone down at all.  Who'd want
> to buy these products then?  And how stupid do you have to be?  Lastly why
> would a state allow its citizens to buy such products?  Oh yeah warranty
> right?  Who's really got time to go back to the store they bought something
> at just because they entered a suspicious word, or had another "suspicious"
> device on the hub?
>
> The danger here is that people will be turned off from technology increasing
> the gap between an elite and regular people.  When such a gap widens
> productivity and evolution suffers.  Orwellian societies evolve out of it;
> but "TLA" sounds so great doesn't it?  It's like bragging about your big
> brother that beats everyone up.  What joy.

Hey Peter,

the last few sentences sound a bit like you are angry at me?
If so, sorry but i don't know why?!

EU/US both have TLA's, so what's wrong using that term? These are the
executive organs you have to deal with. They the have money, computing
power, you name it. They are not only interrested in terrorists.
industrial espionage, political affairs, left- and rightwing activists
etc. It's easy to get them as your enemy. Just demonstrate against
Bush and let the police catch you.

What about:
- Build a shielded USB keybord. Rip the electronics out

- Get a small computer board that is capable of doing aes/blowfish in
  software and has a programmable usb controller. They are not that
  expensive and should fit in a not too small keyboard.

- Random data could be gathered from the time between a keypress, light
  sensitive resistor, etc.

- Program the board to emulate a keyboard, encryption, rng, translate
  the keystrokes. React on a certain key combination to set a new PSK/
  delete the old one in case "somebody" comes into your house.

- Patch the kernel to understand your AES encrypted keycodes.

- Add random noise on the wire, to make it hard to analyze your
  keystrokes.

- Set a preshared secret on the keyboard and on your computer.

- Enjoy.

This looks like it could be done if you have some (a lot of) experience with
electronics and programming. I guess it would cost arround 200 - 300Eur to
buy all the needed stuff? If it's worth it for you, why not?

Create a nice printable circuit layout and make it available to
everyone.

reading it again, i've just found a flaw... You need to encrypt the PSK
somehow, else all recorded communication could be decrypted if someone gets
physical access to your box . On the keyboard, that's not a problem, but on
a computer without a keyboard? Smartcard + built-in secure card reader maybe.

Anyway, i'm out of this thread since it has nothing to do with OpenBSD.
There are probably better mailinglists for such stuff (e.g. FD?).

Tobias