* Han Boetes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-07-09 20:36]:
> Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> > I read man dhcp and man dhclient and wasn't able to determine
> > how to restart the DHCP process (or the whole network) if my
> > cable modem with DHCP server crashes and I have to reboot it. I
> > suggest this information to be added, but I don't know where it
> > belongs.
>
> Default behaviour for _any_ daemon is the restart on the HUP
> signal; ie:

wrong, the default behaviour upon reception of a HUP signal for any
unix program is to terminate (see signal(2)).

many daemons do install a sighup handler and react by reloading their
configuration. that is certainly not 'default behaviour' tho. blindly
sending hup signals to daemons in the hope that they react with config
reload is dumb - as the default action is to terminate.

--
BS Web Services, http://www.bsws.de/
OpenBSD-based Webhosting, Mail Services, Managed Servers, ...