On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Laurence Tratt wrote:

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 03:46:16AM -0400, Philippe Meunier wrote:

I have a Thinkpad laptop (T43) and I'm about to install OpenBSD on it.
I have a few questions regarding hibernation though.

tphdisk is in ports/sysutils, so that's one thing less to worry about. As I
remember it (and I could be wrong here), in order for hibernation to work
the "16" partition has to be the first on the disk.

On my Thinkpad X40, the hibernation partition doesn't have to be the first partition on the disk (physically) nor the first partition in the partition table, just any partition with partition-type 16. But this may of course be different on a T43.

$ sudo fdisk wd0
Disk: wd0       geometry: 5168/240/63 [78140160 Sectors]
Offset: 0       Signature: 0xAA55
         Starting       Ending       LBA Info:
 #: id    C   H  S -    C   H  S [       start:      size   ]
*0: 07    0   1  1 -  900 239 63 [          63:    13623057 ] HPFS/QNX/AUX
 1: 16  901   0  1 - 1040 239 63 [    13623120:     2116800 ] OS/2 hidden
 2: A6 1041   0  1 - 4625 239 63 [    15739920:    54205200 ] OpenBSD
 3: 12 4626   0  1 - 5166 239 63 [    69945120:     8179920 ] Compaq Diag.

I tried that because I liked to keep the included Windows around, and for some reason, IBM Rescue&Recovery likes to put it at the beginning of the disk, and on the first partition in the partition table.

As video memory is shared on my machine, I used the amount of RAM plus 2MB, rounded up to a cylinder boundary on the disk. One more word of warning: be sure to newfs_msdos the _correct_ device; you don't want to end up overwriting the wrong part of your disk :-)

The best tip I can give is do the minimum possible work to create the hibernation partition and install a minimal OpenBSD and test whether hibernation works. There's nothing worse than installing and configuring everything, only to press Fn-F12 and be greeted with a tiny beep which means that the ThinkPad isn't going to hibernate.

This is good advice :-)
A minimal OpenBSD installation takes you only about 15 minutes.

Finally, because I have 1GB of RAM and a relatively slow 1.8" disk (it gets ~16-20MB/s for sequential reads, depending on where physically on the disk you're reading), resuming from hibernation actually takes a little bit longer than just cold booting OpenBSD. Of course, when you've got many slow-loading applications running, hibernation does get a slight advantage.

Regards,

Sebastiaan