Peter Philipp wrote:
On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 05:54:34PM +1000, Rod.. Whitworth wrote:
Absolute beginner at practical use of IPv6. Reading man pages and
tutorials and presentations. Now for a bit of hands-on to make sure I'm
not storing inaccurate concepts by misinterpreting something so it
won't work in practice.

Scenario:
2 hosts on my LAN

first one, fox:
# ifconfig fxp0
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr 00:02:b3:8b:d5:08
        groups: egress
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
        status: active
        inet 192.168.80.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.80.255
        inet6 fe80::202:b3ff:fe8b:d508%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

Second one, po:
# ifconfig rl0
rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr 00:01:80:0f:66:83
        groups: egress
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
        status: active
        inet 192.168.80.117 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.80.255
        inet6 fe80::201:80ff:fe0f:6683%rl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

When I try to ping6 from one to the other I see no replies unless I use
-I $if when it works fine.

Of course when I try to telnet to port 25 to test email sending I see
"no route to host" messages.

I would have thought that link-level addresses would have worked but decided to try site-level by adding a line to each in ifconfig simply
changing the fe80 to fec0 and then everything works fine.

The line appears like this:
 inet6 fec0::201:80ff:fe0f:6683 prefixlen 64
added to the end of the above.

Can someone please point me at documentation that will lead me to know
why I can't use link-level addresses like that?

I managed to find loads of stuff about IPv6 routers, DNS, tunnelling
etc but not much early stage education that I can implement for lab
work to get me up to speed.

Thanks,
Rod/

Last I played with IPv6 was in 1999/2000 possibly.  Freenet6 gave me some
6bone blocks, 3ffe:b00:4028::/48 I think.  This was sufficient to make
everything work.  But there is shitloads of reading up on all this stuff. :)

Sites like 6bone.net and ipv6.net or something were helpful but what I ended
up doing at the time was print out IPv6 RFC's and hang them up like pictures
along my apartment walls. I had a studio like apartment back then which was about 6 meters by 10 meters so, the IPv6 RFC actually fit side by side. Since I have little furniture I could now look at this RFC like looking at paintings at an art exhibition. :) Searching specifics was easy as well. I think you'll find the most direct answers in the RFC's and they're free, but they aren't an easy read, IMO (as I'm a fool). Anyhow what you should do is try to get a hold of real IPv6 addresses instead of this link-local address stuff , for which I found some information in RFC 2373, page 11:

--
   |   10     |
   |  bits    |        54 bits          |          64 bits           |

   Link-Local addresses are designed to be used for addressing on a
   single link for purposes such as auto-address configuration, neighbor
   discovery, or when no routers are present.
--

That pretty well sums it up. Anyhow RFC 2928 is interesting in what IPv6 TLA's are out there. 6bone gave up its addresses in June 2006 and
the 3ffe:: addresses aren't expected to be used anywhere anymore.

Since IPv6 is such immense space perhaps you can bum some 2001::/96  netblocks
from someone for play (and you'd still have enough address space to hold the
IPv4 Internet.  Other than that the Site-Local addresses are sufficient
for play I'd assume.

Quote RFC 2373, page 12:
--
   Site-Local addresses have the following format:

   |   10     |
   |  bits    |   38 bits   |  16 bits  |         64 bits            |
   +----------+-------------+-----------+----------------------------+
   |1111111011|    0        | subnet ID |       interface ID         |
   +----------+-------------+-----------+----------------------------+

   Site-Local addresses are designed to be used for addressing inside of
   a site without the need for a global prefix.

   Routers must not forward any packets with site-local source or
   destination addresses outside of the site.
--

I'd assume reading some KAME IPv6 code in the BSD kernels also helps you
find references to RFC's in comments and you'd see how the real-world implementations work. I've been a fan of KAME since attending a talk of Itojun (Hagino?) at FreeBSDCon in 1999. The presentation was interesting to say the least. :)

Take care!

-peter

I'd suggest going here:- http://www.sixxs.net/

You'll be able to get your own /48 within a day or so, tunneled to whichever IPv4 address you would like. You also get to learn a bit about Whois in the process, as you must have a person object before they will give you address space.

Then you just need to run radvd on your routers and all your hosts will be magically configured with public IPv6 addresses.

(Don't forget to firewall it though!! Your boxes will all have public addresses, so you don't even get the safety of NAT to hide behind)

Cheers,

Dunc

--
Duncan Lockwood