On 7/11/06, Nick Guenther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/11/06, Jirtme Loyet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use the installboot (from openbsd) to linux to install a bootstrap
> on a FFS openbsd disk from linux.
>
> Is there an equivalent to installboot on linux? Has this application ever
> been ported to linux ?
> I'll port it to linux if nothing as already been done.

Pardon?

Remember that BSDs use a disklabel(8) while Linux doesn't.

I think you might want to read this:
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.9/i386/INSTALL.linux

In any case, wouldn't it be simpler to just boot into an OpenBSD
install disk and work from there, rather than using installboot(8)
from within Linux?

-Nick

It sounds like you are in an extreme case, such as: A laptop with no floppy
disk, a broken cd-rom drive, no network to netboot with, and you are
too poor to purchase the hardware necessary to install openbsd in the
proper manner.

In these very rare cases: dd the floppy image to your swap partition.
Point grub or lilo to boot from this partition. Install openbsd over
existing linux partition.

Otherwise you must be looking for time to waste. As much as I would
like to see 500 lines of code wrapped with 20,000 lines of gnu/linux
makefile/configure automagic wrappers, I think you could probobly use
your programming skills to help the project in more important ways. If
you do decide to port it anyway, please make sure to include at least
sparc and amd64 support in your port.

Looking forward to your sourceforge project page! Keep us updated!