On 7/14/06, Jason Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We have an OpenBSD 3.8 firewall that has been in production for the
> last six months.  Until the last week or two, everything has been
> great.  Recently while diagnosing a problem with the bonded T1 pair,
> I noticed the following error while pinging the gateway:
>
> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>
> This always coincided with a very high spike (1000-3000ms) in
> latency, which would usually go back down to ~0ms and operate
> normally.  The interface in question is an Intel em connected to a
> Cisco 2950 trunk.  The other two interfaces (em1, sk0) are working
> fine.  The LAN interface (em1) pushes *much* more data, as it routes
> between 13 internal VLANs.  I've also had another box perform the
> same ping test concurrently to confirm this isn't a problem with the
> gateway.

This is the same behavior I would see when trying to ping out our internal
em(4) interface when the transmit queue filled up (or it was thought to be
full).  You can confirm that is the case by checking ifconfig (look for
OACTIVE).

But, does that interface ever fail completely and require an interface
restart, or just spike?

Kian