On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 04:04:35PM +0200, Paulo Rodriguez wrote:
> Hoping you are having a good summer and all that jazz.
> Just a quick question, I was wondering whether anybody had some
> interesting feedback, positive or negative, on the use of OpenBSD 3.9,
> PHP 5.0.5, and PostgreSQL 8.1. on a chrooted Apache.

I have set up Apache+PHP+Drupal with both MySQL and Postgresql. It's not
difficult. You WILL want to search the archives for info on running
MySQL or Postgresql well under OpenBSD. You WILL need to move some
things into the chroot environment so they can be accessed.

Overall everything works great. Two things stand out that I don't like:
1) Drupal wants to write to the database a lot, needlessly. 2) Despite
what other people say, I have found MySQL to be very brittle in the face
of any failures. But then you were asking about pgsql. Better.

Be aware that some Drupal modules are only available for mysql. I'm only
using a handful of modules, and they're all available for both mysql and
pgsql. If you're comfortable enough with sql it will be fairly easy to
add pgsql compatibility to any module, as Drupal uses a (simple) DB
abstraction layer.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |