On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 23:58:49 -0400, "Nick Guenther" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:
> > > Why does cat retain the -[etv], -[bn] and -[s] options? I am reading
> > > the paper cited in cat's manpage and saw 'vis' mentioned. vis is in
> > > base, and line numbering and stripping can be done with sed, so why
> > > does cat have those options? Is for history, just for compatibility,
> > > or has no one ever bothered to remove them (I find this unlikely)?
> > >
> > > -Nick
> >
> > Using the same argument, everything that grep, sed and awk can do can be
> > done in perl, so why have grep, sed & awk?
>
> I have been wondering that too somewhat, but I assume it is because
> they have different uses and they are easier to use than doing a perl
> script every time.
>
> > All we need to do is teach
> > everybody to type "perl -pe 1" in place of "cat".
>
> That's not the same as what I was asking. "perl -pe 1" is more complex
> (in typing and implementation) than "cat", wheras "cat -v" is more
> complex than "vis".
>
> Anyway, I wasn't trying to fight about it, I'm just curious.

You haven't heard the term Creeping featurism? It is the desire of
UNIX hackers to add every functionality to a command until you
can even send mail with it.
The -exec option to find is the most classic example of this.
With that option, using find, you can do 'anything'. :-)
Up to and including rebooting...
--
  Eric Furman
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]