On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 09:17:28PM -0500, Marco Peereboom wrote:
> andrew fresh wrote:
> >I have written a perl script that parses the output from bioctl and
> >returns it in a format that Nagios can use.
>
> Sweet :-)

Thanks!

> >One thing I ran into is that bioctl needs to run as root to get access
> >to /dev/bio, even for read only access.  Is there a way to query bioctl
> >without needing root?
>
> No!

dang! oh well, sudo is a good enough solution then.

> >Also, in biovar.h, both a raid volume and a disk can be "Offline".
> >However, I am not sure what that means.  Currently it is a WARNING, but
> >I don't know what status it should be set to.
>
> If 2 or more physical disks of a RAID 5 are offline a volume will be
> marked offline as well.  An offline RAID 5 is obviously a critical
> event.  Hope this makes sense since I am not exactly sure what you are
> asking.

I will change Offline to be a CRITICAL error.

and here is the new version:
http://openbsd.somedomain.net/nagios/check_bioctl-1.4.tar.gz

However, I guess my question is what would cause a disk to be Offline?

There is a separate status for Failed, and I could see the RAID being
Offline if too many disks had Failed.

Are there any other status that should be different?  They seemed to be
fairly straight forward, but there may be good arguments for them to be
changed.

my %Status_Map = (
        Online      => 'OK',
        Offline     => 'CRITICAL',
        Degraded    => 'CRITICAL',
        Failed      => 'CRITICAL',
        Building    => 'WARNING',
        Rebuild     => 'WARNING',
        'Hot spare' => 'OK',
        Unused      => 'OK',
        Scrubbing   => 'WARNING',
        Invalid     => 'CRITICAL',
);

l8rZ,
--
andrew - ICQ# 253198 - JID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

BOFH excuse of the day: Windows 95 undocumented "feature"