On 08/01/06 16:48, Anton Karpov wrote:

This world sucks. We're living in a dark ages, playing with the same
technologies as 20 years ago.  UNIX is still here. Gcc is still here. C is
still here. And it will always be the same.
This world needs something really new. Maybe nuclear war is the answer?
Oh, no, I'm not smoking crack....

Nuclear war wouldn't help, leaves only less resources while we need more...

I believe focusing on security and correct code the way Theo&Co do is a basic requirement for the future. Thinking security can be build in afterwards is nonsense or another way to say "rebuild"

Real shortage of people producing usable code keeps the OpenBSD project in the current state. That state isn't bad at all compared to alternatives (I'm still amazed) but I fully agree this is Turd Polishing, (TP), and Mickey is terribly right with his "you (and your kids) will go greyhair before you get halfway thru it" concerning an "OpenCC". A C-compiler is like a Cathedral, where OpenBSD is more or less a bunch of concatenated sheds. They do keep users dry, they are usable but there is no luxury at all, now and in the foreseeable future, at least not without a new bold plan and usable code.

This primitive situation does resemble the dark ages and I believe we should design a path to a more decent/civil situation, bring enlightment and ban stupid beliefs based on hear say. As far as I see it a better compiler is definitely part of a brighter future but better can more economically be reached by enhancements of details (more checks and automatic, proven correct, generation of more parts of code) in GCC than building an own compiler. (An idea that probably might compete for the most stupid idea ever posted here?).

As far as I see it the most realistic real big thing to design and build is a "world database (file) system". Universal secure access, replication/synchronisation(backup) of data between servers, version control and a world class userinterface for it (mom&dad compatible like Apple produces for most of it's products).

That's a project not the size of a cathedral but definitely comparable an increcibly large and usable central place of a very large city.

Amen

+++chefren