Hi Chris,

On 2006.08.01, at 2:00 PM, Chris Zakelj wrote:

Went back about two years in the MARC archives with the terms 'copy
drive' (oddly enough, 'dd' itself wouldn't work), and got plenty of
linux examples on Google (that pretty much say what I propose anyway)
but no luck... I'm hoping to find a faster way to create an image of one
drive (a Samsung MP0402H, 40G notebook, to be specific) onto an
identical drive than using:

# dd if=/dev/rwd0c of=/dev/rwd1c bs=1m

Hardware to be used in the copy is an i586/166, Intel 430VX chipset. I vaguely recall hearing that placing the drives on separate IDE channels
would help, but any and all other pointers, cluesticks, and proddings
are welcome.

Do you have lots of drives to clone like this? This thread could take longer than the copying of a drive.

I occasionally dd copy my 100GB laptop drive to an external firewire drive, using a FreeBSD install CD [1]. Only takes about 1 hour including compressing with gzip.

Backup:
dd bs=64k if=/dev/{raw_drive} | gzip | split -b 50m - backup.dd.gz.

I split the files into 50m chunks because they fit well on CD's and DVD's and I don't have problems trying to burn or copy the files to something which has file size limits.

Restore:
gzcat backup.dd.gz.* | dd bs=64k of=/dev/{raw_drive}

If you want, you can always substitute the raw_drive for a slice and just backup slices.

Shane

[1] Only using FreeBSD for this because it supported the new ATA and firewire chipsets on my VAIO. ; )