From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> CARP comes very close to solving the problem, but it's not specific to
> individual tcp ports afaik. So it would help if a box becomes
> completely unreachable, but if only the service stops working it's not
> that useful.
>
> Essentially I'm looking for a very simple daemon that can monitor
> services on several machines and trigger pfctl when the availablity of
> the services changes.
>
> It's been suggested to me that the Linux-HA/heartbeat package may have
> what I'm looking for, but from what I can tell it's never successfully
> run on OpenBSD.

CARP is superior to that script-driven unmaintained garbage for the HA
functionality. Other functionality can be met by other means...

> Any thoughts, suggestions or pointers would be very appreciated.

monit comes to mind, although I've never used it but I think you can write
event handlers for service states. Also if you're using Nagios for
monitoring you can set up event handlers (even something as simple as "ssh
to a host and execute this pfctl command to strip a host out of a table" or
something.)

DS