Jeff Quast [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I understand this is a problem of target systems translating C/H/S
> values differently. There is no problem in dynamicly using OpenBSD's
> idea of C/H/S values at build time. However, OpenBSD on two different
> machines can provide completely different C/H/S values on the exact
> same card. Correct me if im wrong.

OpenBSD can display different C/H/S if you use it on USB and then direct
on an ATA bus.  The USB chip provides a completely different geometry
than the ATA firmware on the CF card does.  That is not just because you
are using it on "two different machines", it's because the USB controller
supplies different information than the actual CF card does over ATA.
If you use a PCMCIA-CF adapter, you'll always get the same geometry that
you get on a Soekris because in both cases OpenBSD can talk to the CF's
ATA firmware directly.

Just because flashdist asks for C/H/S doesn't mean that the image be applied
to a card with that exact C/H/S.  This was the case before OpenBSD switched
to the LBA based MBR.  Now, as long as the CF image fits on the card, it should
boot.