On 8/16/06, L. V. Lammert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 12:55 AM 8/17/2006 +0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> > > We are not stuck on SATA.  The whole data directory has ~ 80GB of data
> > > so PATA would work just as well.
> >
> >I fear you missed the point.  This is hardly about SATA vs. PATA,
> >but rather about ATA vs. SCSI.
>
> Au contraire - the argument is 'RAID', which, by definition, is _ _
> *Inexpensive* Disks.

AT the time RAID was first discussed, SCSI drives _WERE_ the inexpensive
disks.

IME, SCSI drives are no more reliable than SATA or IDE. I have had two
> drive failures in SCSI arrays in one year, and I have had SATA arrays
> running 24/7 for five years with no problem whatsoever.

I was speaking with a hard drive manufacturing engineer a couple of years
back.  He told me that scsi disks were better from a reliability point of
view.  On ATA disks, disks that are OEM'ed (to tier 1 manufacturers) were
better than the stuff you can buy online.  The reason was because they run
more tests on them prior shipping to the oems.