> Adam wrote:

> I first read this out-of-order...  "sounds like they are talking about
> Dovecot" was my first thought...

> Want a seemingly reliable demo?  Try this:
> Set it up on a machine to do IMAP/SSL.  Push 2000 e-mail messages from a
> local mail client to your IMAP server.  Somewhere between message 3 and
> 1000, it will hang, then time out on you.  Switch to non-SSL, it will
> work fine.  Switch back, hang-time-out.  Exact same results on Outlook
> Express and Thunderbird, on multiple workstations, and multiple servers.
>   BTW: if you are trying to convert from local e-mail to centralized
> IMAP storage, that hang-and-timeout SUCKS BIG-TIME...you will either end
> up with duplicates in the IMAP server or spend hours trying to figure
> out which ones made it and which ones didn't.

I've just tried with beta8 and you're right. Exactly the same happens to
me when using SSL... thanks for pointing that out.

> Yes, Courier IMAP is more complex.  However, it took far less time to
> get going than I spent fighting with the Dovecot SSL problem.  I really
> wish I hadn't believed all the "Courier is too complex" stuff before.
> It isn't that bad, and not only have I had no issues so far, some of the
> things I wasn't really blaming Dovecot for got a lot easier, too.

Guess I'll have a look at Courier or Cyrus now ;)

--

 Stephan A. Rickauer

 Institut f|r Neuroinformatik          Tel: +41 44 635 30 50
 Universitdt / ETH Z|rich              Sek: +41 44 635 30 52
 Winterthurerstrasse 190               Fax: +41 44 635 30 53
 CH-8057 Z|rich                        Web:  www.ini.ethz.ch

 RSA public key: https://www.ini.ethz.ch/~stephan/pubkey.asc

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of signature.asc]