Success with the snapshot of today.  With today's floppy I don't need
to do any workarounds.  With a snapshot floppy from 8/19 it would
panic during boot but this morning I grabbed the latest floppy40.fs
and this system boots without me having to manually choose the boot
device.  I'll be upgrading from 3.9 to the snapshot tonight.

Greg

On 8/21/06, Greg Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 8/20/06, Nick Holland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Greg Thomas wrote:
> > I have an old, unused since OpenBSD 3.4 Athlon XP 1800+ that I just
> > replaced the mobo on because the previous mobo wouldn't boot with a
> > LSI MegaRAID 150-6 installed.
> >
> > I haven't yet tried other OSes but so far with the 3.4 system on the
> > harddrive and any OpenBSD boot floppy it hangs here:
> >
> > booting hd0a:/bsd: 4466772
>
> That's not booting from the floppy.
> If that's what you are getting, your system isn't trying to boot from
> the floppy, it keeps going to the HD.  Bad floppy, bad cable, bad
> setting ...
>
> (I could also read unstated things into what you are saying, but that's
> not at all wise)
>
> > Any ideas?  Bad memory?  With the mobo I received new Kingston memory
> > but have no other DDR stuff to test with at the moment.
>
> 3.4 had the old boot loader that didn't like changing disk geometries.
> Changing the MoBo could cause issues, though I don't recall that exact
> symptom.
>
> Could also be a HD damaged in handling...
>
> If the floppy is really trying to boot and it is hanging at that point,
> I'd be suspicious of a hardware problem.  That's so early in the boot
> process, the only thing running is the boot loader.  The 3.4 boot loader
> and the 3.9/4.0 boot loader have very little in common, so if BOTH are
> failing in the same way, you got either a really odd piece of HW or a
> broken piece of HW.

Hah, I found a workaround.  If I set only one boot device in the BIOS
or if I use the BIOS' boot menu and select the device I want to boot
from OpenBSD will boot from floppy, CD, or harddrive.  If I let it
search through the boot devices set up in the BIOS, whether the
working boot device is first, 2nd or third, it hangs as mentioned
above.

That's an easy enough workaround so I'm fine with that.  I was about
to give up but since other OSes installed and booted fine I figured
I'd keep poking around.  I can get a dmesg later if anyone is
interested.

Greg