On Tuesday 22 August 2006 19:37, Craig Hammond wrote:
> Hi,
> It seems I've been bitten by one of the bugs that exist in sendmail
> 8.13.4 that
> ships with obsd3.9
> This particular bug was fixed in 8.13.5:
>       When a server responds with 421 to the STARTTLS command then
> treat
>               it as a temporary error, not as protocol error.  Problem
>               noted by Andrey J. Melnikoff.
>
> I know that this won't be officially supported by the obsd developers,
> but is
> the idea to update just the sendmail component to -current (sendmail
> 8.13.8) on
> 3.9-stable a reasonable one, or am I being completely stupid.
>
> I've got a lot of boxes on obsd 3.9-stable, and although I will update
> them
> to 4.0 when it comes out, I was hoping to fix this sendmail problem in a
> quicker way than updating them all to 4.0-beta, then updating them all
> again
> to 4.0 when it comes out. ( as I am still a newbie, I prefer -stable to
> -current on production boxes )
>
> Thanks,
> Craig.

You are free to run whatever software you want to on your OpenBSD
boxes.  Rather than taking the sendmail from 3.9-stable, why not go
to sendmail.org and grab the latest version and compile that?  If you
enouter errors you can look to the OpenBSD files to look for anything
like patches.

Me, I'd create another 3.9-stable box and try this before doing it on a
system you use.  You shouldn't have many problems.

--STeve Andre'