Woodchuck schrieb am Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 03:19:38AM -0400:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Edd Barrett wrote:

>>> Can you first choose S for shell, run the necessary sysctl commands,
>>> then exit the shell and start the install process as usual?
>> Read the post again,
>> The binary is absent from the install media.

> Why not newfs a floppy, cp the /sbin/sysctl to the floppy (it is
> already staticly linked), mount the floppy during install...

Should work, if the OP has a floppy drive in the machine in question.
Except that floppies usually don't work.   =;-/

[...]
> I don't recall when install umounts the install floppy so the
> device is free.

Huh?  It never even mounts it, so no need to umount.
To learn why, take an install floppy and try to mount it...

> BSD installation is very flexible.

Yes, and in the case at hand, the OP is doing a (local area) network
install.  So he should perhaps just put the /sbin/sysctl binary
on his LAN FTP server.

During the install, before downloading the sets, he can escape to
a shell (there is even a prompt "Do you want to do any manual
network configuration?" at one point), get the binary via ftp
into the ramdisk, run it (if the install kernel does indeed support
the required sysctl, which i don't know) and continue with the install.

If he really cares about the speed of the install and the process
described does not take more time than he looses due to inefficient
bandwidth usage...

Just in case he has to install (42)^2 machines, he is probably
using custom /usr/src/distrib/miniroot/install.sh, install.sub,
and i386/common/install.md scripts anyway and can put the required
commands there.

Now the OP has probably had more suggestions than he hoped for...