hi all,

While reading ksh(1) I found :

        A pipeline may be prefixed by the `!' reserved word,
        which causes the exit status of the pipeline to be
        logically complemented: if the original status was
        0, the complemented status will be 1; if the
        original status was not 0, the complemented status
        will be 0.

Please now try `if ! false; then echo true; fi`. Why does my shell eat
muchos CPU & RAM after such a short pipeline ? This appears to be a
bug in our ksh. I've tried bash (i know), FreeBSD's /bin/sh and
FreeBSD's ksh (also from pdksh, from what I can tell) all do what one
would expect.

I've seen this behaviour before but never spent the time to
investigate. Now it seems that ksh(1) may be at fault (or the manpage,
but since other shells seem to do it right, I would suspect ksh(1)
first).

Anyone with a definitive answer ? Is this a bug or am I missing
something ?

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/