Matthias Kilian wrote:
On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 07:01:52AM -0400, Nick Holland wrote:
Plus, if you wish to do PPPoE, you may find the Soekris machines horribly underpowered.

Huh? I'm using pppoe(4) on a net4801 for a 2-Mbit DSL without problems.

IMHO, soekris as router and/or firewall is fine for home and small
office networks with medium-speed lines.

Or did I miss something?

Not really.
However a 2Mbps DSL line is not the fastest out there... a friend of mine is griping about his 200MHz PPro (which will probably run circles around the 4801) being unable to keep up with his 6Mbps DSL line with PPPoE. I haven't investigated personally, but I've got some reason to not ignore his warnings. A few other people have run into problems with PPPoE on hardware that would have giggled at a simple Ethernet connection, so throwing underpowered hardware at a DSL line would not be my first choice.

For what it is, in the apps it was designed for, the Soekris is a great machine. However, for a first time user, it will be frustrating, expensive and very limited.

'Course, I may be getting old, I recently realized how irritating I was finding ssh connections to 200MHz Pentium machines...and that was BEFORE the key size was kicked up. :)

Nick.