On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 03:48:35PM +0200, Steffen Wendzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently own 3 home directories. one on each of my workstations and one
> on my laptop but I want to have the same data in all 3 folders.
>
> I just saved a lot of new files on my laptop while I was away and I now want
> to have the data on my workstations too. The data includes source code, CVS
> directories, downloads and so on.
>
> I don't want to use CVS for this job because it wouldn't be good to have CVS
> directories from other servers inside my own CVS repository directiry. I at
> least think so.
>
> Are there any possiblilitys to do this on a way I can share time? (Should work
> with ext3 too and should run on OpenBSD x86 and linux x86 and amd64).

It's been mentioned before, but unison is a good solution here. I use it
between my laptop and my desktop; some setup is obviously required, but
the complex part (authentication) is pretty solid, since it works via
ssh.

The only real downside I can think of is that it's written in a very
non-standard language, so changing it will be more difficult than with a
program written in C; but that's all. It's fairly complete.

                Joachim