To: "OpenBSD-Misc" <misc@openbsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: The future of NetBSD

On 8/30/06, Charles M. Hannum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The NetBSD Project has stagnated to the point of irrelevance.  It has
gotten to the point that being associated with the project is often
more of a liability than an asset.  I will attempt to explain how this
happened, what the current state of affairs is, and what needs to be
done to attempt to fix the situation.

[snip]

Much of this early structure (CVS, web site, cabal, etc.) was copied
verbatim by other open source (this term not being in wide use yet)
projects -- even the form of the project name and the term "core".  This
later became a kind of standard template for starting up an open source
project.

That's very interesting history, if true (and I don't see why it
wouldn't be)! Don't feel bad then, if you have accomplished that.

[snip]

--

At this point most readers are probably wondering whether I'm just
writing a eulogy for the NetBSD project.  In some ways, I am -- it's

I admit that I may be wrong about this, but I assume that most people
who have contributed to NetBSD, and/or continue to do so, do not desire
to see the project wallow away like this.  So I will outline what I
think is the only way out:

[snip]

*cough*Most of these ideas have been in the OpenBSD culture from the
beginning*cough*

- Charles Hannum - past founder, developer, president and director of
  The NetBSD Project and The NetBSD Foundation; sole proprietor of The
  NetBSD Mission; proprietor of The NetBSD CD Project.

[I'm CCing this to FreeBSD and OpenBSD lists in order to share it with
the wider *BSD community, not to start a flame war.  I hope that people
reading it have the tact to be respectful of their peers, and consider
how some of these issues may apply to them as well.]

Um. Wow. I think Theo wins.

-Nick