In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, viq writes:
> On Tuesday 05 September 2006 19:24, Igor Sobrado wrote:
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the excellent reference you provided in your email.
> > Indeed, it is a BSD disklabel related problem not a ffs's one.  And
> > it seems a serious one!
>
> I was about to just mention it, but then thought I'll fish out the link, so
> there you are ;)

Thanks again for that link.  An excellent reference, indeed!

> > Ok, I think that it is all clear now.  I must decide what OS will have
> > access to each drive.
>
> Or reformat the drives to be shared with a different file system. Common
> solution to that is FAT32, but also pretty much everything (including
> windows! http://www.fs-driver.org/ ) can read ext2/3 disks - though I had
> some problems with fsck of an ext2 disk after it was mounted (or formatted)
> with linux. So, that's some other solution too ;) Though, no, I have NO idea
> how that is to the endianness of a machine.

I prefer staying away of FAT32... there are a lot of nice features on
Unix filesystems (e.g., soft and hard links) I certainly want to use.

Don't trust me a lot, but I believe that ext2/3 do not depend on the
endianness of the machine.  Perhaps it is me, but I prefer avoiding
ext2/3 filesystems too.  I had some serious challenges recovering
data from ext filesystems after power outages in the past.  These
filesystems do not seem as robust as ffs with softdep.

Have a nice day!

Igor.